Monday, September 13, 2010

It is amazing how quickly time can truly fly. It seems like yesterday I was looking down at that little stick giving me the surprise of a life time. Was it really a month ago we were on our way to the hospital to bring Mr. Weston into this world?

I look back at all of the fears I had while pregnant this last time. What silly thoughts that should have never entered my mind. There were the obvious concerns, like every mother has... will he be healthy? Will he be cute? Will the surgery go okay? Thankfully it was a yes to all of those things.

The silly things I was worried about were things like "will I love him?", "will Warren be okay with his little world being rocked?" "will I ba able to handle 2 kids?" "will I be able to adjust to a new schedule?" To be quite honest, I spent a lot of time crying over those little concerns and for nothing. I loved baby Weston from the second I saw him. It was instantly obvious that he was part of our family.

There were quite a few differences from Weston's delivery versus Warren's (THANK GOODNESS). Warren's entrance into this world was anything but nice. It was a long and horrible 22 hour labor followed by an emergency C-Section which threw me into shock a bit. When they handed Warren to me I was so weak I couldn't hold him. I didn't want anything to do with my new baby. What a horrible feeling that was. Then he was taken to the NICU for 2 days. I only saw him briefly in that time period because I was to sick to go in there. I spent 2 days throwing up and in so much pain even the meds couldn't get rid of it completely. After we got home it almost got worse. I never got milk but I was determined to nurse. I would try to pump for an hour, nurse with the little tube thing for an hour, then feed him a bottle for an hour. Then it was time to start over. I was a mess. The worst part of the whole experience with Warren was no one had explained to me that there was such a thing called "The Baby Blues." I held that baby for over a month wondering why I didn't want to be a mother. Why I regreted having a baby. How happy I was to find out that it was a chemical in my brain messing with me not just me. A little medication and my life was changed. I am so gratful this time around to know ahead of time that 80% of women suffer from the baby blues. 50% of that group have PPD (post pardum depression) which is what I had. This time around I got on medication early to prevent the possiblity of it happening again. I also knew what to expect this time which I think has helped a lot.
Little baby Weston's delivery was SO MUCH BETTER. It was a scheduled C-Section so I was able to wake up in the morning, take a hot bath and a shower. I got all ready then we went to drop Warren off at Grandma Fisher's. This was the only rough part of the day for me. Leaving my best little buddy in the world to go to the hospital knowing things will never be the same. I know it was mostly hormones, but I was so stressed that I wouldn't love our new little guy as much as I do Warren. I was really worried about him feeling left out or put aside.

We got to the hospital at 10:00am. We did a lot of paper work, got in my hospital gown and at 1:04pm Weston was here. He would have been earlier but my doctor was caught up at the office and was an hour late. By 8:00 that night I was up walking around which was a HUGE difference from the first delivery. With Warren I was in bed hooked up to all the machines for 3 days. I even showered the day after Weston was born and I could do it without the help of a nurse or Andrew. It was such a nicer experience than the first time around.

The deliveries of my 2 babies, and the recovery were so opposite. At this point I feel so much better than I did with Warren too. Yes, our lives have changed quite a bit over the past month. There isn't enough time in the day to do it all. I am super sleep deprived. My house is a wreck and I can't keep up on the laundry to save my life. I have come to the realization that I need to find a new "normal" instead of waiting for my old "normal" to come back around. Life with two kids is a little crazy. It takes twice the amount of time to get anywhere which means my reputation for being on time may be compromised. When it all comes down to it though, I love all of my boys more than I ever thought possible and I couldn't be happier with my life.

5 comments:

The Treasures said...

I am so glad for you that this time around was different. I have to start getting ready to be somewhere TWO HOURS before I have to be there if there is ANY chance of me being on time. ha ha It's a huge change but worth it. He is so beautiful! Thanks for letting me snuggle him the other night. It certainly threw off my determination to be done having kids! Yikes. Those are darling pictures.

Tricia said...

What a cute cute picture of the boys! You're giving me hope that my experience with #2 will be better (because I went through the same mess the first time around:)

Fisher Family said...

Darling Pictures! So glad this time was better for you. You have a beautiful family.

the mama monster said...

annie i am so happy that things were better this time. last time was pretty rough! your boys are darling and i am so glad you seem to be doind well. lets plan on going to draper park with our moms and kids one day so we can catch up.

Aly said...

Such darling pictures!! Two is so much fun huh? What beautiful boys you have!!