Wednesday, October 27, 2010

First Day of School


I know a parenting manual could never prepare you for raising children, but it would help. I wish someone would have told me that in order for you to get your child in preschool, you need to start looking and register long before July. By the time I started making phone calls, the teachers were just laughing at me. It was common for me to hear "Ummmm, we filled our classes in May." So, I gave up after about 5 calls. Warren is just barely turning 3 this week and doesn't even need to be there because it means he will be in preschool for three years, but he REALLY wanted to go to school. Well, lucky for all of us, a spot opened up at a school in our neighborhood. I talked to the teacher on Monday afternoon and he started the next day. This was super lucky for us in more than one way.... mostly because I didn't have time to mull over the fact that my baby was going to school so I didn't even cry!!

Warren was SUPER excited to go to school. The only disappointment came when I told him he doesn't get to ride the bus. I told him he would ride in my car, he was ok with that but it took me telling him that some days he might even get to ride with Keri that he got over the bus issue.
The cutest thing was when we were walking down the stairs he said "mom, is preschool scary?" I said "no buddy, it's awesome!" he just said "oh, ok!" I walked him in and he didn't even turn around to say goodbye. He was so happy to be there. As I was walking out I said "bye buddy"... His reply was such a Warren thing to say: "Bye mom, have a good day!" I LOVE HIM!!

So although I got behind the eight ball a bit, it all worked out. The teacher said it was like he's never missed a day and that he fit right in. AND, I have 3 hours to get things done. My house may be clean again one day after all!!

5 comments:

Chris and Brittani Knudsen said...

Please tell me you watch "Modern Family" If not watch last weeks episode about them trying to get their daughter into Preschool...it reminds me of your story (ha ha ha!)

Kaysie said...

Do you want to hear something crazy... I had Oakes registered for preschool at 18 months and the twins before they were born! Thank goodness I had friends already with kids in this preschool or I would not have any idea how fast preschool fills up! The teachers are going to have so much fun with that little man!

holly said...

I love that he wanted to ride the bus! That is EXACTLY what Kate first said when she started preschool....and she was so sad when I told her that I was her ride!

I'm happy it worked out for everyone...I hated taking Kate out (she absolutely loved it)...but she fit right in at her new one and loves it too :)

We need to start up our weekend date night again....mainly because now I don't get your kiddos every week! It really is going to be so weird not to have them here! AND a date night sounds GREAT!

Fisher Family said...

I can't believe how big he looks in that picture! I'm glad he likes his school so much.

Tricia said...

He is the cutest little guy! I'm happy you made it in. Moms have so much stuff to stress over.