Monday, April 11, 2011

Yuck

About 3 weeks ago I started to feel pretty crappy. I was coughing like a 4 pack a day smoker. I was feeling weak, I actually blacked out a few times and had a fever that was hovering around 100 but got up to the 102 mark a few times. Finally on a Thursday afternoon I was talking to my mom on the phone. I told her how crappy I was feeling and that I was so chilled even a boiling bath couldn't warm me up. She was at my house 20 minutes later to watch my kids and forced me to go to the doctor.


I went over to the doctor expecting to hear "buck up you pansy, you have a bad cold/flu." Instead I was put in a hospital gown, had chest xray's and and oxygen treatment. This is a dumb picture.... but it's the one I sent my mom and Andrew letting them know they were right. It was more serious than a cough/cold/flu.

I seriously don't remember being so sick, except maybe when I had Warren. The doctor told me it was a high end level 3 pneumonia. She said if I had waited another day I probably would have ended up in the hospital. I was in bad shape. I can't believe how weak I was. Luckily my saint of a mother took Warren home with her that night and then had both of the kids most of the weekend. Linda took Warren to a movie Saturday which was super helpful. It seriously just kicked my butt. I felt so helpless and couldn't even take care of my own kids.


My house was a wreck and I couldn't do anything about it. The only time I got out of bed was to go to the bathroom..... Andrew was such a good sport and did all of the house work.


Five days after I first went to the doctor I was finally feeling well enough to go to Target. While Warren was at school Westi and I ran over there to grab a few things. I started to feel really itchy. Within minutes I was covered in rashes and my feet and hands were so swollen I could hardly walk or bend my fingers. I called the doctor wondering if it was a reaction to the medicine I was on for the pneumonia. I thought it was weird to happen 5 days after I had been taking it, but that's what it was. So, I was doped up on Benadryl for almost a week while I waited for the reaction to settle down.


Here I am, 2 and a half weeks later and I still have a pretty bad cough. It is especially bad when I laugh or take a deep breath and of course when I try to sleep. It's getting a little better though. I'm just sick of being sick.

2 comments:

Fisher Family said...

It's good you went to the Dr. when you did. Hope you are back to normal soon!

Lizzy said...

that is horrible! hope you are starting to feel better.