Grandpa lived a very full life. There wasn't a day in his 95 years on this earth he sat still. He was always doing something. He was on the Tooele Search and Rescue until 2 months before he died. He walked 3 miles a day. He shoveled the snow for all his neighbors, even when a lot of them were half his age. He was in the Tooele Senior Circle. He had a little volunteer job checking on the elderly people in the neighborhood and making sure their "life alert" necklaces worked. He even had a drivers license until a month before he died.
He never spent a day in a wheel chair, he never had to stay a night in a nursing home. He didn't spend very many days in the hospital either. He was a happy, healthy 95 year old. He was blessed to be taken back to heaven so quickly and peacefully. But, loosing him leaves a big hole on this earth.
Grandpa was the definition of service. I knew he spent his days serving others, but until we were out at the hospital visiting him in his last days, we didn't know to what degree. It was humbling to see how many people, of all ages stopped by to say goodbye. They all had a little story to tell about how giving and thoughtful Grandpa was. I will cherish those stories forever.
Grandpa loved his garden. He enjoyed collecting Beanie Babies and has a collection of over 1000, some which are very rare editions. He loved camping. He had a potty mouth that I thought was funny. He taught us by example that the best answer to any question is "Hell, I don't know." I just loved that man so much and will miss him deeply.
2 comments:
Death just stings. How nice to think of him with his wife again though right? 95 is so impressive!
Darling picture of the boys with their Great Grandpa. I know you will miss him. Your have our sympathy!
Post a Comment