Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Special Westi Update

Weston went in for his 2 year well check last week. It went well. He's huge. 90 percentile in height. And I'm sure if they had foot size on the charts he'd bust it. He wears a size 9 or 10 shoe. Warren wears a 10 or 11. Good for us because the kids can share shoes :)

At the appointment the doctor said he wouldn't give Westi his flu shot because of his egg allergy. Who knew there were eggs in a flu shot? I said.... "really? He will be fine. Just give it to him." The doctor looked at me like I was the biggest idiot on earth and told me  a few stories of kids with egg allergies that are brain dead because of it, or have died. It was a wake up call for us. I have been REALLY careful about Weston's diet. But our pediatrician scared me into being even more aware.

So, we went to the allergist to get an update on his allergy levels yesterday. The massive welts you see are Peanuts, Eggs, Garlic and Tree Nuts. Nothing new, except Weston hasn't started to out grow any of them :(

We also made even more progress in his asthma game plan. They STILL won't officially diagnose him, but instead call it "Restrictive Airway Disease". Don't ask me why.... but the doctors tell us they treat it like asthma, and the word Asthma sounds way better than Restrictive Airway Disease so that's what I'm going to call it. He is now on a nightly medication AND inhaler. Plus an as-needed nebulizer. Both the pediatrician and the allergist/asthma specialist feel his case is bad enough we have to be aggressive. The main concern is going into cold and flu season. A simple cold for most kids is just that, a cold. But for Special Westi it can land him in the ER. So, wish us luck this winter. We are hoping for no ER visits. It may give us the chance to pay the last 2 off. I should have been a doctor. I can't believe how much money we spend a month paying off medical bills. But, it's worth it to keep the kiddos healthy.

BTW.... I LOVE the allergist/asthma specialist we found, Dr. Kay Walker at St. Marks Hospital. We were at her office for almost 2 hours yesterday and I'd say she was with us for 80% of it. Not like a normal doctor where you're with the nurse for 90% of the time and 10% of the time with the doctor. She is so concerned about Weston. She wasn't treating us like just another chart or patient. I think she in genuinely concerned about my anxiety that has come with all of this so she wanted to make sure I was completely comfortable with the action plans. She's awesome.

2 comments:

Meg said...

Poor Weston! They did give Sam a flu shot because he's had one before and never been anaphylactic to eggs, but they wouldn't give Tayt one. I may want to see your allergist. Have you ever heard her talk about what Sam has? I'm wondering if she would know more than my allergist. Good luck this winter. I'm dreading it too!

Alesha said...

WOW! That really stinks. The bills the welts the allergies the asthma. Poor kid. Good thing he is beyond cute. ;)