You may hear me say every once in awhile that I hated high school. Really what I mean to say is I had a handful of experiences that burned so deep and that is what I remember. My 10 year reunion reminded me of the good times and the great friends I made.
For all of you fellow class of '99ers out there, these words may bring back memories: The Store, Deb Gross, DECA, Corner Canyon, The Players, Back in Black. Really, we had the life back then didn't we? Back then our biggest problems were what we were going to wear, if a crush said hi to you that day, who you were going to the dance with and being at the right party.
The reunion made me realize that everyone has gone so many different ways. Most people looked the same. Many still had the same personality but we have all had many different experiences over the past decade. Three of my friends were the parents of twins and one was pregnant with a set. Some have one child, others have FOUR!!! Many have spread their wings and ventured out of the state but it was so exciting to have them there. Most of my friends are scattered to the point I haven't seen them since high school. There are at least 4 in California. One in Colorado. A few in Texas and one that moves so much we all loose track. A few have exciting careers, but most of them continue with the most important work, being a mother.
There was some sadness that night. There was a moment of silence for 5 people that have passed on since high school, one was just 2 weeks before the reunion. One friend just lost her house in the Santa Barbara fires. One has a son who was born with half a heart, but he is doing great after numerous surgeries. One friend lost her husband suddenly due to a bad prescription drug combination and left her to raise a 2 year old and one baby on the way. One of my dearest friends has so many health issues from MS and a terrible heart condition that has put her on a heart donor list, but she still smiled through it.
Then there are always the guys that will never change. The ones who thought they were so cool in high school and still do. They even made a web site to make fun of old classmates to try to boost their already over inflated egos a tich more.... there were many people grateful that they didn't show for what I assume in fear for their lives after people found out about their web site.
I came away from that night realizing how wonderful my life has been. It was so much fun to see everyone and hear what they are doing. It was so much fun to talk about careers, children, husbands and what we are all doing now. I am so happy to have had the experiences I have had and I am so grateful to be where I am today with such an incredibly supportive husband, a beautiful baby and that we are all healthy. I didn't get to chat with everyone nearly enough and I certainly didn't take enough pictures. It was such a fun night!
Me & Lisa Durham Trent
Jada Davis. She was one of Andrew's favorites(wink wink)!!
Bless Andrew's heart. He was such a good sport. I didn't hear him complain once about having to go to the reunion. Some of my friend's husbands didn't come which was a shocker to me!! I would be so disappointed if he wasn't there unless he had a way good excuse. Andrew made some friends of his own. He is so easy going and always makes the best out of any situation. He's a good man.
Side not for Meredith's Information.... She always asks me how long a post took because mine tend to be lengthy. I am a super fast typer so this one took about 7 minutes (I timed it for ya Beck).
10 comments:
How funny...I danced with Jen Martineau for one year at the Jazz. What a small world!
Hey!!! I am so glad that you found my blog! Yay! Now we can be blog buddies! We can keep in much better touch this way. I will def add you to my blog roll so that I can keep up with you and yours!
It was so great to see you and catch up. Keep in touch!!
Glad you both had fun!
WOW. Super speedy! Thanks for the info!
Hi...it is good to hear from you. I was sad I missed the reunion, but figured I had more important things to take of! It would be fun to get together for lunch or something sometime...until then it has been fun to catch up with you through your blog!
hmm still glad i had tacos instead! but i am glad that you had fun. annie for reals you are looking super cute and skinny. so i want info on the mean blogger boys. seriously i needs to know... tell andrew that james wasn't there for him. our tacos were the bomb.
Glad you had great time and fun to see old friends as well.
so fun!our lame school didn't even have a 10 year reunion! lame!
Hey Annie, you are the sweetest and always write the nicest things on my blog, thank you! Hey and it was so fun sitting by you at our girl's dinner the other night! I've missed you guys! Hey and your reunion looked fun and what a cute, good sport Fisher was! I liked how you described your feelings of highschool and life now, I so relate!!! Also I love Warren in your freshly made bed, with the remote in hand, how adorable is he????
Post a Comment