Thursday, October 22, 2009

Ahha Moment.

For those that watch Oprah you know what I am saying when I say I had an ahha moment. It seems like the older I get the more ahha moments I have. The more I learn about what life is really about. The first part of this ahha moment will make me sound like a selfish brat.... so if you start it, please finish it so you realize I overcame my bratty moment.

It all started around midnight on Tuesday night. Warren woke up crying which he rarely does anymore. I went into his room and calmed him down and got him back to sleep. After doing this 5 times that night I was obviously exhausted on Wednesday.

Warren was so cranky that day that most of me felt bad for him, but that selfish part of me felt bad for myself for having to deal with it. His cough was so sad. He couldn't nap because of it. I just thought we'd give it time to decide what to do. Well he started to feel warm. His temperature was 100. Not bad..... Motrin will fix that. An hour later it was up to 102 so I called the doctor and they told me to head to the office to have a quick check. Long story short, by the time we left the office his temp was 102.8 and he just laid on my lap which is SO unlike him. After a few MEAN tests of swabs 3 inches deep down his nose and one down his throat that I thought would for sure induce vomiting but luckily didn't, we got the bad news. Swine Flu (yes I call it Swine Flu because H1N1 sounds like you are trying to sugar coat it and there is no sugar to it. the SWINE FLU SUCKS!!!) A tired little bug and a cough that sounds like a train is about to crash is no treat.

Now, before you all avoid my family like the bubonic plague you must know that we caught it early enough so he is medicated and by mid day tomorrow he will no longer be contagious. Andrew and I so far have escaped it thank goodness. So if I see you at the store or at a party know that I am not going to kill you by talking to you.

My poor me day story isn't over yet.... The doctor advised me to keep Warren away from other people for 5 days because he is so young and he is more susceptible to other illnesses which is what complicates the swine flu. So we are guaranteed to the house for 5 days. I made the calls I needed to to make sure all of mt work obligations were taken care of. Then home to make dinner before Andrew made it home. I figured I would have Andrew pick up Warren's meds on his way home from work so I wouldn't have to take my sick bug in public. While making dinner I got in a fight with the cheese grater. The cheese grater won and I have a massive chunk out of my finger and there was blood everywhere. Another chalk mark for my poor me board.

Once Andrew made it to the pharmacy the TamiFlu in children's form was out. I had to drive to Draper for the second time that day to try and get his medication. Before I left I took Warren's temp again. It was almost 104. SCARY!!! I called the doctor. They said to give him Tylenol and if it didn't go down in a half hour we had to take him in again. Slowly it started to drop.

By this time I am so sleep deprived and emotionally spent because I have been worried sick about my baby boy. As I was driving out of my driveway I called the second pharmacy to make sure I didn't make the long drive if they didn't have the meds. She told me they just got an order before me and it was the last dose and they wouldn't have enough for Warren..... in come the tears. I told/balled to the sweet pharmacist that my baby was running a major fever and I didn't know what to do. If he didn't get the meds we could be in big trouble. Bless her heart she pulled some sort of magic rabbit out of her hat and "found" some. (or told the person who called right before me they were out.)

Here is where the AAHHHAA MOMENT comes in. I had to sit at the pharmacy for a half hour waiting for the miracle drug to appear. Thank goodness for my entertaining phone I was able to pass the time by playing with my favorite app. NPR News. I was reading about all the tragedies that have been going on in the world like kidnappings, deaths, weather disasters and the kicker... a story on homeless mothers. As I sat in that pharmacy waiting room I realized how truly blessed I am. The fact that I have my family around me. A husband and son that I couldn't possibly love any more. Warren's doctor is a quick 20 minute drive. I have a car to get to that doctor. Modern miracle medicine (Warren is acting like his crazy self again today). My warm home that I can take my sick baby to. An understanding boss that without question said "see you next week. Don't worry about us here." The 15 friends and family that have called today to check on us. Money to pay for my doctors and medicine (I can't even imagine the sense of despair those homeless mothers with no means to provide for their sick and hungry children have. Just imagine you, sitting outside down town in the freezing cold with your child/children standing next to you coughing up a lung and saying they are hungry. It is such a horrible thought.) I have fridge that is so full I can't close it. A pantry that has so much food I had to transfer some to the basement overflow pantry. The list could go on and on.... I realized how senseless it was for me to be so down after what to many would seem like not that bad of a day.

Do you ever feel like this world is moving so quickly that you just can't keep up? You have to be here then there.... Do this and that and if you don't you won't make it in this day and age. The technology is fabulous but at times overwhelming. Check this email, post this, tweet that, yada yada.

On Tuesday I was on my way to Courtney's birthday lunch. I could see in the distance a white haired man pushing his bike. I was too far away to really see what was going on and wondered why he was pushing instead of riding. Then I saw a car pull over and back up towards the man. A very handsome young man dressed to impress jumped out of his brand new BMW. By this time I was close enough and stopped at the stop light so I could tell what was going on. The old man's bike had a flat tire. The young handsome man put one hand on the man's shoulder and the other out to grab the bike. It was obvious the two didn't know each other as it appeared the young man was introducing himself to to older gentleman.

With our schedules and the craziness of this world, how many people drove by that old man in need? I was so impressed to see a man who was obviously on his way to something important by the way he was dressed but he stopped to help a stranger. I couldn't ask for anything more in this world but to know that I am married to a man that would have done the same thing without blinking an eye.

So. That is my aahhhaa day. When you think you are having a bad day stop to look at the things that make your life such a blessing. Take time to help those that are having a bad day and know that tomorrow is another day.

3 comments:

Meg said...

What a great post Annie. I think we all totally forget how blessed we are especially when we have such crappy days. I too have had a battle with the cheese grater and lost :). Not fun. I'm glad Warren is already feeling better. I feel blessed that we haven't gotten the swine flu yet!

Fisher Family said...

Sorry the last few days have been so hard on all of you. So grateful Warren is doing better!(missed him yesterday) Glad you are feeling better about things too!

Eric said...

Hope warren get better soon.