Thursday, July 14, 2011

Out with a bang.

Warren just finished up his first season of soccer..... Let me repeat that, his FIRST SEASON. He's 3 and a half years old. I have to reiterate that to make the following story even more funny......

I am willing to bet not a lot of people have been to a soccer game for preschool aged kids where the cops had to be called in. Four of them showed up at Warren's last game. I would probably also be safe betting not a lot of people have a 3 and a half year old that have had to give an official statement to the police. Well, Warren has.

This story could easily be the longest post ever, but I will try to give the short version.

From what I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong, soccer is somewhat of a contact sport, right??? I realize you shouldn't tackle, but there is going to be some shoving. ESPECIALLY with 3-4 year olds who are trying to get out of the swarm. Well, the coach of the team we were playing didn't think that was the case. Which is funny because he acted like he was God's gift to soccer and he knew everything. Probably a bad thing because no matter how much you teach your kids, they still are learning the game and won't really "get it" for a few years. At this age they need to learn 2 things. 1. To get the ball in the RIGHT goal. 2. Not everyone on the team needs to have contact with the ball at the same time.

Yes. Warren is an aggressive kid. He is fairly intense in sports, but he just wants to play. On the other hand, he is the sweetest kid around. So, when a over aggressive parent/coach who is trying to live out his soccer dreams through his 4 year old gets out of line, Andrew was forced to step up to the plate.

Warren was trying to get to the ball and may have shoved a bit.... it's soccer and he's 3. This other coach started yelling at Warren. "You stop shoving!!!"



Andrew calmly said "calm down man, I'll talk to him."



Well, it happened again. No one went to the ground so he wasn't trying to body slam a kid. The other coach went ballistic. He started flipping out and yelling "get that kid out of the game. He shouldn't be playing soccer. It's the end of the season, he should know how to play by now." (Refer to paragraph one).



We all tried to stay calm until this a-hole made my baby boy Warren cry. Andrew walked over and more firmly told this white trash, MMA looser to back off. The guy was up in Andrew's face to the point Andrew finally shoved the guy out of his way. That's when our team ended up calling the cops. Everyone was a little nervous it was going to get ugly.



We talked to a guy in our ward the next day who is a cop. He said Andrew never would have been in trouble with the cops for shoving the guy. He was protecting his space because the other guy was almost egging him on. It seriously was such a joke. The other coach is the one that could have had charges on him because he was violent in front of minors. Again, what a joke.



A guy I work with who LOVEs Warren was at the game. He has a daughter who is in a comp soccer league. He was totally defending us and Warren saying "it's soccer you idiot. you can't play with your hands in your pockets." He said of the thousand games he's been to, he's never had cops come. And the games he goes to have a lot more contact.





Poor little Warren had to give a statement to the cops. He said "that guy yelled at me and made me cry." That was good for Andrew, the cop could tell Andrew was protecting his son and that the other coach was the one at fault.





Again, I could go on and on. I've left out a lot of details, but there are the basics. Lame huh? All the kids care about is if they are getting a trophy at the end of the season and what the treats are after each game. It was so out of control and uncalled for I can't even tell you. Andrew and I keep saying "how did it go from a light hearted, preschool soccer game, with us maybe needing to have a chat with Warren about keeping his hands down, to the cops being called?" Seriously.


















1 comment:

Meg said...

That is the most awesome story! And I love that Warren has a head band, you know, with all the sweating from being so aggressive. Too cute!