Because he died so suddenly from cancer, it really made me think about how real cancer is and how it is in someway part of everyone's lives. My family got together and decided to hold a golf tournament in his honor with proceeds going to Huntsman Cancer Institute. Over the years, our tiny little tournament has grown like crazy. The first year we had about 65 people and raised around $4,000. In four years it has grown to the point we had almost 100 people and raised over $10,000 in one day. Not bad for a little family charity tournament.
This year was a little different as far as the donation goes. We decided to make it a little more personal with the proceeds. My cousin Cody has a friend who has Leukemia. He is 30 years old, has 2 kids and is about to loose his house. He came to the tournament to watch. He rode with Cody's group and did some putting for them. To see this young kid looking so weak made me step back and really think how grateful I am for my health and my families health. He had no idea that we were going to donate to his family. We wrote a check to him for $2,500 to help. Usually when this tournament is over, I always say I am not doing it again next year, it's too much work. This year, because we were able to see an actual person get some of the money and how much it meant to him, I am excited to get started on next years tournament.
The event is A LOT of work. It takes so many people to pull it off. We had some AWESOME donations made for the auction and raffle this year. My mom, dad, brother, sisters, aunts, uncles and cousins all pull together and make it happen. We had everything from watches and clothing to a TV, autographed memorabilia, teeth whitening, golf clubs, hair care baskets and even 700lbs of beef donated for the auction! It was awesome to see everyone catch the bug and do what they could to make some money.
I played this year for the first time. Usually I stay inside and get the raffle and auction set up. This year my mom, dad, John, Nic and Meredith all showed up before the sun came up to get things put together so I could play. It was fun to be part of the tournament. I played with Andrew, Meredith and Brady. It was a fun group. We didn't play very well, but we had a great time.
It was a good year. I can't wait to do it again next year.
The Tournament Commitee.
Andrew and I only played together 3 times this year.
It is amazing how a child changes your life.
Notice anything wrong with this picture???
He isn't hiting towards a hole.
The group behind us thought hitting into the lake looked so fun, they joined right in.
3 comments:
Annie I cant even tell how impressed I am. The tournament was amazing as always. Thank you SO much for all your time and efforts into making that such an amazing day. I was at Zach's table when you announced you were donating to his family, and the look on his face was priceless. What a kind thing for you to do.
You are truely a gifted person to be able to pull something off like that and Sean and I really appreciate everything you did. Thank you again.
YAH for DFL prize 4 years in a row!! (At least we are progressing a little)
Annie,
Words cannot say how thankful I am for the donation to Zach's family. I have not been so overwhelmed in a long time and I appreciate all of your hard work. I right with you in saying I can't wait until next year! I want to do all that I can to help. Thank you again from the bottom of my heart...Kami
i just want to say that i to am totally impressed w all you do.. dont EVER say that we wil not do the tournament again. it is honestly the highlight of my year.. and i also just want you to know that i know deep in my heart that grampa and my dad are so damn proud of you!! thank you for all you do. love you
Post a Comment