Today I was driving home from running a golf tournament at Wasatch Park Golf Course. I was in the car with one of our employees and we got talking about car accidents and scary moments in life. I am sure we have all had them. It got me thinking about an experience I had a few years ago that I feel was the definging moment in my life that made me decide what type of person I want to be.
This happened 4 years ago. Working in the golf industry, I am often on the road very early in the morning because I usually have to get to the golf course before 5am. This was one of those mornings. I was on the very south end of Redwood Road in Saratoga Springs where there usually isn’t a lot of traffic, especially at 4:45am. As I was getting closer to the golf course I noticed in the distance head lights coming towards me. The first thought that went through my mind is what crazy nut is up at this time of the morning….. as the car got closer to me, I realized it was going very, very fast. Luckily the caution flag in my head went up. When there was only about 100 yard between us, the car made a sharp swerve and was heading straight for me. I could quickly tell that it wasn't someone falling asleep at the wheel but someone intentionally trying to hit me head on. I slammed on my breaks and swerved into a hill, missing the other driver by only a small margin. It took me a second to realize what just happened. Luckily I hadn’t been hurt, and my car wasn’t damaged. I contacted the police and was able to give them a description of the car and told them what had happened. I was shaken up, but had to go about my morning because I was running the biggest tournament of the year and had to keep moving.
I couldn’t stop thinking though, how quickly life can come to an end. None of us know when our time on earth will be up. We all hope to live a long full life, but there is that chance that we won’t. To make a long story short, I got a phone call from the detective on the case about a half hour later. He wanted to see if I was ok and let me know that the person in the other car was in police custody. It turns out it was a suicide attempt. He was going over 100 mph and I was going about 50 which would have been a sure combination for tragedy. My life could have been taken with his in such a quick moment had it been a successful attempt.
Obviously, the realization of what could have happened really made me think. It made me think about life and how fragile it is. How important it is to embrace every moment of every day. But most of all, don’t put anything off until the tomorrow. I think about that moment a lot. Especially when I am on a 2 lane road in the dark with another car coming towards me. Now that I am so happily married and have the most wonderful baby in the world I am overly gateful that my life was spared.
That morning on Redwood Road, my life changed. I decided that I wanted to be the best peson I could be. I may not have fame and fortune, but I have a wonderful family who I love more than words can say. Talking today about what happened 4 years ago was a good reminder to me. A reminder to make sure everyone knows how much I love and appreciate them. Make everyone feel welcome and comfortable wherever you are. Take time to help other people without expecting anything in return. Never leave the house upset. Always kiss my boys. Be the type of person people can count on. Appreciate the little things in life. Look at the bad times in life as a reminder of how to appreciate the good times. Live every single day so when the times comes that it's my last day, those left on this earth will be proud of how I lived my life. Live so when it's the last day of my life the Lord will be proud of the life I lived.
1 comment:
Good things for all of us to think about and do!
Post a Comment