Monday, September 12, 2011

Answers

I am so grateful for an answer to poor little Weston's health issues. We just could not figure out why he threw up 3 times a day. After blood work and some allergy testing this is what we know:



He's allergic to:
*EGGS!!! Boo. Eggs are in so many things. Cookies, cakes, breads yada yada.


*ALL NUTS. This includes PEANUTS. Which again, in so many things.


*GARLIC, which includes garlic salt and powder. It may sound like a random allergy, but it's amazing how many things that cuts out of his diet. I use garlic in so many recipes. The poor kid can't have pizza (eggs in the dough, garlic in the sauce.) Most Italian foods are out. A lot of mexican food is out which stinks because we eat that at our house often. You find garlic in a lot of crackers. I make a mean pulled pork, but it has a TON of garlic salt and powder.




Two things the original blood test showed he was allergic to, but the actual allergy test showed HE ISN'T was soy and white potato. I didn't think the soy was a big deal until I started to read packaging. It is in a lot of things. The white potato was a huge relief too. How sad would life be if you couldn't have french fries and mashed potatoes?




The testing was SO SAD. We had to pin him down as they poked his back one test at a time. It seemed like it would never end. The poor kids was screaming so loud. I'll be honest, I took a Valium before we went so I could handle it more calmly.









We had Warren tested about a year and a half ago. I thought I'd toss the picture in to compare. Those massive bumps on the right side are TREE NUTS.


So, to sum it up. We are an epi pen family! No nuts in our house. And poor little Westi needs a little extra attention when it comes to meal planning.


I will say, as big of a pain that it may be, we are so grateful that he is feeling so much better. Ever since we had the testing done and cut those items out of his diet, he hasn't thrown up once. He is happier. Sleeps better and we don't have to change our clothes 3 times a day! We can go to restaurants with more confidence knowing he probably won't barf on other people! We need to have the carpet in our family room replaced, but I've wanted that for awhile now so that actually turned out to benefit us.


3 comments:

Tricia said...

That is the saddest test ever! Glad you at least have a starting point with the eating at your house :)

Meg said...

Oh my gosh I had no idea! You'll have to talk to me. I have recipes. :) Poor little guy! That is so sad.

Alesha said...

Now that is just the saddest thing. I would for sure need a valium. I am a mess with regular shots. Cant hold back the tears!