For anyone who has spent much time with Warren, you know about "the scream." It is the highest pitch and loudest screech you have ever heard. We are working on whispering, but he doesn't get it quite yet. The thing is he isn't usually screaming because he is mad, it is because he likes to hear himself. Yes, this is embarrassing to me but I don't know what to do about it. I can't hide in my house until he grows out of it. I have become used to it for the most part. The reminder is when we are in public and everyone stares at us. People turn around to see what is going on and I just move along as fast as I can to get out of the way.
The other thing that is really difficult is going to the grocery store. I have found that it is best to go when Andrew is home so I can leave Warren home and go alone. However... Andrew is not always home when I need something, so my little buddy goes with me. He is not allowed in a shopping cart. If I put him in the seat, he wiggles out of the buckle in less than a second. For awhile I let him ride in the big part, but is was less than one shopping trip before he figured out how to jump out of that too. Most people say try the little car shopping cart.... yep, tried that too. My escape artist can get out of that in no time. So, he rides in the 5 point harness stroller. This leads to me only being able to get a small amount of groceries, enough to fill the tiny little basket under the stroller.
So I already have challenges going in public. The loud scream that gives me an indescribable headache. The stares that I can fill going through me. Not being able to buy my entire list because it won't fit in the stroller. So when the following happened, I lost it......
My stroller was almost full which means I was almost done. Warren was screaming away and I was moving as fast as I could so I could get out of there. I was walking down the cracker aisle when Warren let out one of his best screams while at the same time waving to people thinking he is just talking to them. A young woman, I would guess 20 ish looked over and said in the most snippy sarcastic tone "wow, that's not annoying or anything." I took a deep breath and swallowed the tears and with as much dignity as I could muster up said, "you obviously don't have children, do you?" She looked a little shocked I said anything back to her as she gave me the response I knew I would get, "no." I then told her that when the day comes that she does have children, she will be in public and embarrassed by her child's behavior and remember the moment we were in the cracker aisle at Wal Mart as she almost brought a mother to tears. It will be at that moment she will realize how hurtful her words were.
I walked away before she could respond. I was proud of myself for not freaking out more which would really have been justifiable. Seriously though, do people not realize how hurtful the stares and the words can be??? I know any parent knows how I am feeling right now. If you don't know it's because you have never had a child induced public humiliation and for that, I hate you.
Let me toss in a disclaimer... it may sound like Warren is a difficult child. He does have his difficult side like any child. However, he is the most loving and friendly baby in the world. He loves to give big hugs, he blows kisses to everyone, he talks and talks and makes me laugh most of the day. He is a great dancer. He has a new eye brow lift that he does when he sees something new and it is the cutest thing in the world. He loves to sleep, lucky me. He is just a ball of energy and sometimes it is a little draining. I wouldn't change him or his personality for the world though. I don't think I could love him any more.
4 comments:
way to go for speaking up for all the mothers in the world. most of us would just go off in a flurry of tears of steaming mad without the guts to say anything! you are a great spokeswoman!
I LOVE this!!! You know I ge tmy fair share of comments and stares from people over my girls cloths or lack there of! I so want to go off every time!!! I wish I had the control you did!!You're awesome!
Annie, I am so impressed. Good for you for saying something to her, and I so feel your pain with the grocery store!!!!
You KNOW that I relate to this. I have never had the guts to say anything back - I am going to try that. People always wonder why I carry stickers and treats in my purse. Not just for my Ella, but for all the other kids that seem like they need a little distraction - and the mom's who need someone to give them a break. If I can take away that embarrassment for 3 minutes, it is worth it every time.
Post a Comment