Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Gratitude

I have seen a lot of people posting things about gratitude on their blogs this month. So I thought I'd jump on the bandwagon...... Most are doing a little post everyday in November. I'm a few days behind, so here is my catch-up:

Day 1- My baby fat. Yes, I know Weston is 14 months old so I shouldn't consider it baby fat anymore. At this point it's more my own fat because when I was running my brains out this past summer I lost it all. And now it's back. Weston has been waking up in the middle of the night a lot. The last few nights I've had to rock him back to sleep. As I laid there rocking him, I watched the clock move from 1:30, to 2:30 and before I knew it the clock said 3:30 am. My alarm was set for 5:30 to get up and run. But after being up all night, it didn't happen. So, today I am embracing my baby fat because my baby is keeping me awake and I don't have the energy to work out. How grateful I am to have him to hold each and every day and night. Even if it does make me a little chubbier than I'd like.

Days 2, 3, 4- I am going to cram 3 things I am grateful for in this one. The reason for that is they all stem from the same situation. Andrew has an employee that has had some really difficult times. We do what we can to help him, but we can only do so much. His car is broken so Andrew has been picking him up and taking him home. His heater is broken so he goes home to a wife and 2 kids in a cold house. Andrew sent all of our space heaters home with him. I hope it helps. And finally, his water heater is out. So, I am grateful for cars that work, a nice warm home and a water heater so I can take my standard 2-3 showers a day. And more than anything this week, my little Weston has been barfing in the middle of the night again. SO I am so incredibly grateful that I can put him in a nice warm tub to get him clean and make him feel better.

Day 5- For a husband that cares for other people and their well being way more than his own. He is always more concerned about how I am doing than anything. He has been going way above the call of duty as a boss to take care of his employee that needs extra help right now (picking him up for work, space heaters, buying him groceries.....) Andrew is an incredible man and I am SO lucky to have him.

Day 6- Warren. There aren't enough words in this world to describe what a gem Warren is. He is a delightful, happy, helpful little boy. I wasn't feeling well this past weekend. When Andrew left for work he told Warren "take care of mom for my buddy." A few seconds later, Warren came in my room with a Diet Coke and said "mom, I promised dad I'd take care of you. So here's a Diet Coke. What else can I get you?" He has heard that exact question, what else can I get you? coming from his dad's mouth a few hundred times before.

Day 7- My parents. Again, I could write for days about what they have done for me and my family. And what they continue to do for us. It's amazing once you have children of your own how much more you appreciate your parents.

Day 8-My neighbors. I seriously have such fabulous neighbors who look out for each other. It is so comforting to know I am surrounded by great people.

Day 9-My job. I am going on ten years with the same company. I can't believe how many people I have met, how many new skills I have learned and life experience I have had in that time. The PGA is so good to my family. It's nice to have a second income, and I am so lucky that they are flexible with my schedule to accommodate my family and our needs. They pay our health insurance and that is HUGE when I have a self employed husband. If there is a time I drag my feet to get to work, I remember all that job has done for me. I am super lucky.

Day 10-Our Garage. As I was driving to work this morning I saw a few people out scraping the frost off of their windshields. And now that the snow is coming I'm REALLY grateful for a place to keep my ride nice and cozy.

Day 11- Blogging. My blog is my journal. I LOVE going back and reading posts. Being able to pull up pictures of my kids anytime and anywhere is AWESOME!! I am not a scrapbooker, so if it weren't for my blog I wouldn't have much of a record. Now I just need to hunker down and actually have it printed. I love to keep tabs on my friends too by reading their blogs.




Day 12- Pinterest. I actually have a love/hate relationship with pinterest. I motivates me for a moment, then at the same time it makes me feel like a big bum because I'm not creative and crafty like the rest of the women out there. The things I do love to look at though are home design ideas, quotes, workout tips, the before and after diet photos. My sister's and I all agree Pinterest has changed our lives.




Day 13- Walmart. This one sounds dumb but when you think about it, Walmart is such a gift. I can go anytime I want and get everything I need from a blow dryer, new pillows, birthday gifts and all of my groceries. AND they are open 24 hours a day so I go at 6:00am to avoid the crowds. The Sarah Lee Bread guy even recognizes me now because when you go at that time it's usually just me and the shelf stocker's. Plus it's so close that if I need a last minute ingredient I can be there, buy what I need and back to my house in 5 minutes. Awesome.

Day 14- Our BIG, COZY, WARM bed. When Andrew and I were first married we had a queen bed. We didn't sleep through the night for the first few months. Then my sister asked us to babysit her kids for a week. We thought to ourselves "we FOR SURE won't sleep this week." The first night we were in my sister's King bed was the first night Andrew and I had slept through the night since our wedding day. Once we were finished with our babysitting job we went straight to the furniture store and bought a nice king bed. It's one of the best decisions we've made. Yesterday, after our Primary Program I was EXHAUSTED!!! I took a nap which is super rare and I was so happy to have a nice place to relax for a bit.

Day 15- HEALTH!!! For the most part my entire family is healthy. I have thought a lot about when I was stuck in bed last winter for a few days with pneumonia. I was so weak I couldn't even lift my baby. I can't imagine having a long term illness that leaves you bedridden for any longer than a few days. And how lucky we are to have healthy children. What a blessing to have them in our home and be happy and healthy. I am so sad for those that have to visit their kids in the hospital. My heart goes out to them. My little niece has spent a lot of time at Primary's this year and will be spending a lot more time there. When you see all of those sick kiddos up there it breaks your heart and makes you hug your own kids a little tighter. I also have a friend who had a baby a Primary's for a month and a half, but he never came home. My eyes are filled with tears as I write that, and my heart is overwhelmed with gratitude for my boys and that I get to hug and kiss them every single day.


Day 16 - My cell phone. Sometimes I feel like I'm married to it but it sure is nice to have. As a working mom, it makes it possible to work a full time job but only go to the office twice a week. I check my email ten times a day. I love the security of being able to make a call whenever I need to.


Day 17- Being married to Andrew. Happy Anniversary Love. There aren't enough words to explain why I am so grateful for him. He is a fabulous husband and even better father. I love him so much.


Day 18- Google. It sure makes planning my Primary Sharing Time lessons easier. I probably use Google at least two times a day. I have every bit of information ever needed in my hand at all times.


Day 19- Food. I made Warren eat some new things tonight. We had the talk about how many little kids are hungry and don't get any food at all. How sad to think about that. I can't even fit all of the food we have in the fridge and pantry in our house. I had to get an extra freezer for the garage and I have a food storage room in the basement. We are so lucky that we will never have to go to bed hungry.


Day 20- Our ward. I LOVE our ward. We have so many good people in our ward. I had a great time at church today chatting with different people. I learn so much about life because of the incredible examples there are around me.


Day 21- Modern medicine. Warren woke up with a little cough today. I zipped right over to Walmart and got him some Tryaminic. Then over to Jamba Juice for a cold buster. Just like that, no more cough.



1 comment:

Fisher Family said...

When we stop and think about it we all have a lot to be thankful for!