Wednesday, January 18, 2012

WTH?

This is going to be a long story...... and it may not make sense because my brain moves faster than my fingers.


On Monday, Andrew decided to stay home from work for Martin Luther King day. I went to work to get a few things done. My mom asked if she could take Warren to a movie. At that point I decided work was overrated and went to the movie. Andrew and Westi were home, because like I've said before, Westi isn't allowed in public.


After the movie, Warren and I went home. Westi ran right to me and I noticed his eyes were super red and quite goopy. I asked Andrew how long they'd been like that. He said a couple of hours. I looked at the clock and thought I could probably head to the doctor really fast and get him on an antibiotic because he obviously had pink eye.


No big deal, right? I'll run to the doctor and be home in an hour. Warren and Andrew stayed home because Weston really wasn't sick, just pink eye. I grabbed the diaper bag but didn't think to check the contents. We weren't going to be gone long. I really didn't even need it.


We get to the doctor. Our appointment was with the Nurse Practitioner, her name is Cathy. They took his vitals, and then Weston coughed. They asked how long he'd been coughing. I said he started having a little cough on Saturday but I really wasn't worried about it. Well.... they were. After listening to his lungs they brought the little oxygen meter in. It was at 89. I'm not all that medically savvy so I asked, is that bad? They said no, but it's not great so we are going to do a nebulizer treatment.


After the neb. treatment they tested his oxygen level again. Now it was hovering in the 86 area. At this point he's so tired. Super sensitive and I'm sure just plain sick of people prodding him. But now they needed to get him on actual oxygen. The kind they stick up your nose. I had to pin him down to be able to get the thing in his nose so he could even get the oxygen. The meter thing was still attached. At this point they were really wanting to make sure the readings were correct so they brought in another oxygen meter reader and attached it to his hand to be sure it was getting a true reading. When both of them dropped to 83ish, the nurse practitioner slowly backed out of the room, looked down the hall and said "PAUL, CAN YOU GET DOWN HERE PLEASE?" Paul is the Doctor. Dr. Paul Lei. He came in and said, "wow, he looks pretty bad." And he did. His coloring was super pale, almost gray. His eyes were so red. He was so sick and sad.


So then the doctor listens to his lungs, looks over at the meter, now we are at 81 and the doctor says "Holly, get the ambulance here."


WHAT??? What do you mean the ambulance is coming. I came in for PINK EYE.


So, I am still calm at this point thinking it's the doctor just being dramatic. I call Andrew and tell him to call my mom, tell her he needed to drop Warren off because we were taking the baby to the hospital.


Well, we couldn't get her on the phone. I new where she was. She told me earlier that day she had a family night planned with a neighbor, but I still wasn't sure if it was bad enough to call her at her neighbors house.


I told Andrew to call my brother John. While I was on the phone with Andrew trying to get him to find John, I kind of let Weston slip out of the oxygen mask. The Doctor looked at me and said "focus, this is serious." So now I'm a little more panicked and decide it's time to track my mom down.


I call my Auntie Paula because she lives across the street from the neighbor where I knew my mom was. As soon as I heard her say hello, I cried. That's when I got a little emotional. "Paula, can you please run over to Kent's and get my mom? Tell her I'm on my way to the hospital with Weston. Andrew needs to drop Warren off at her house." (side note: I love that my parents still live in the same house after 35 years. I know all of her neighbors and how to track them down.)


So now at least I know Andrew is on his way and Warren has a place to go. I knew it would be a long night so I needed Warren somewhere he could sleep and probably hang out the next day.


Now I could focus on Westi again.


The nurse said "I need your car keys so I can get Weston's car seat." Is it bad that the thought that went through my head at this point was "OH NO!!!! The car is a mess. She'll see those petrified nuggets from yesterday and to be honest the day before and some from last week too. How embarassing." But, it is what it is.


The paramedics came in. They let me carry Weston to the ambulance so he would stay calm. We got him strapped in, hooked to monitors and oxygen and we were off. What a ride. I kept asking, is this necessary? I really can drive him myself. One EMT said, "He's at a point where we can't mess around." I think what he wanted to say is "shut up you dumb lady.


So, we got to Primary's. Weston had calmed down a bit. He still had to have some poking and prodding done. We weren't there very long before Andrew showed up. I was so happy to have him there with us. It had been an emotional few hours and I needed him.


We saw the doctor and she told us she assumed it was bronchialitis. We needed to get him to fall asleep and be monitored for a couple of hours and his oxygen needed to be around 96 while sleeping without oxygen machines. Once he did that, we got to go home.


We got in the car and my phone showed about 10 thousand missed calls and 20 missed text messages. It was in the wee hours of the morning so I couldn't reply. But it was so nice to know how many people cared. Now this is where the title of my post comes in..... I had a ton of text messages that said things like...... Just heard. Hope you're ok. Can I do anything. Where's Warren, should I come get him? Do you need food? How's baby boy? etc....We had a ton of text's from people that were of concern. Then the one from my funny little sister was: WTH?


It made me laugh and I needed it. Then I thought, SERIOUSLY? WTH? How did that happen? I took Weston in for pink eye and we ended up on an ambulance.


Here is the lesson I learned:
ALWAYS BE PREPARED! The one time I walk out of the house thinking it would just be really quick, I didn't have a diaper, a bottle, clean clothes for my little buddy. His nuggle blanket was filthy. My phone battery was almost dead. SO, always have extra stuff with you. Have your gas tank full so if you need to follow an ambulance, you don't have to stop for gas. Have cash in your wallet so at midnight when you realize you haven't eaten anything you have money for the vending machine. Always keep your phone charged.



So now, 2 days later my little Westi poopers is doing better. Dr. Lei saw him again and feels good about how he looks and sounds. We will take him back next week for another follow up.


It was such a crazy, WTH night. Glad it's over. But I am so tired. I can't sleep because I am so worried his levels will drop again. I check on him every half hour when he's asleep which means I'm up every half hour and I am wiped out.


I am so grateful for all of the calls, texts, notes, treats, DIET COKE, offers to bring dinners. I seriously have the best friends and family.


My parents and brother had Warren until this morning. So for 2 days they took care of him without complaint and without notice. I wish I could have seen my dad in the preschool pick up line trying to maneuver through and work the system. We are a little worried that Westi could pass on what he has so we've tried to keep them separated. Thank goodness for family.


Westi loves his new little stuffed animal. It was amazing how it calmed him down.
He was so upset about everything that was going on.


The hospital bed scared him. But he couldn't go very far because of the cords that were attached to him. So the nurse made a little play place on the floor for him.




The ONLY good thing about this night was the 2 hours I got to snuggle my baby boy.






Our little Weston continues to keep us on our toes, and continues to quickly drain our bank account. But I couldn't possibly love him anymore. He's such a sweet little angle and I adore him so much. I am so, so, so grateful he's ok.

2 comments:

Fisher Family said...

We are so glad he is ok!!! When he was here Monday while Andrew met with Don he was happy and seemed pretty normal other than you could tell he had a cold. What a blessing you took him in for pink eye considering what happened. We love him!

Alesha said...

Annie that is so scary! I am glad he is alright. He is about the cutest little boy on the planet. And he has been through a lot!